Palm Sunday in Astorga

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Sun Mar 24 10:01:06 PST 2002

I had intended to head into the mountains Sunday
morning, but on Saturday I read the posters in the
museum in Astorga, and found that there were several
processions on Palm Sunday.  My schedule is not tight,
so I decided to stay an extra night.

The first procession was quite impressive.  I found
where they were organizing and staging, and started
taking photos.  The group of statues depicting Jesus
entering Jerusalem on a donkey was carried on the
shoulders of a group, confradia, of 97 men.  They walked
in step, swaying the whole float with each step, and
even swayed while waiting to start walking.  Each man
had a kind of chasuble or cloak covering his street
clothes, a sash around his waist, and a hood with holes
for his eyes.

There were other groups in the procession, such as a
mixed group of young musicians, an excellent group of
men making up a marching band, women in their cloaks and
hoods, with their children dressed as well, including
one baby in a carriage with his own pointed hat.  At the
end of the parade, there were representatives from other
confradias, each in their distinctive colorful costume.
The pointed hats make them look a bit like the KKK, but
I think that the KKK copied medieval religious practices
from Europe.

The procession went to the city square, where the bishop
read from the bible about Jesus coming to Jerusalem, and
then proceeded to the Cathedral for a high mass.  I
received communion from the bishop, a first for me.

The afternoon parade was smaller, with a statue of Mary
of the Sorrows being carried by 34 men.  The people
joined this parade, this is part of the plan.  This
procession had a good marching band also, men and
women.  There is another procession at 10 PM, but I need
to get up early tomorrow.

I am so glad that I stayed to see the processions. I
understand that Thursday of next week, every confradia
in Astorga will be in procession.  There are other
events on other days of Holy Week.

I head for the mountains tomorrow.

Richard