Antes de Partir

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Sat Mar 23 15:52:34 PST 2002

Greetings to Three Newsgroups:  I leave in thirty days to spend two or three
months in Spain.  Of first order is La Via de La Plata for which I am
preparing both in terms of equipment and physical conditioning.  So as to
concentrate my forces on these two important tasks I will be de-listing the
1st of April.  Some days I receive fifty or so e-mails.  But before parting
I thought to share some considerations that have occurred to me during my
gearing up.  I may do this in separate listings over the remaining few days.
Take my comments for what they are worth.  Make the concepts and ideas your
own if you wish but don't accept them as "Scripture." My nickname among
peers is "Fallible."

I have not seen any reference to major medical problems and the challenges
this might present.  Medical service is kindly offered to Pilgrims along the
routes but what would one do in case of a serious physical condition
requiring hospitalization, expert care, and even surgery?  Some
eventualities that occur to me are heart attacks, appendicitis, broken
bones, and, even more possible, being run over or hit by a vehicle.  This
nearly happened to me more than once.  So this time I have prepared for
these possibilities.
    1.  For those of us on Medicare, my understanding is that this coverage
does not extend outside the United States.
    2.  In some areas private insurance coverage is offered for the duration
of one's stay outside the US.
    3.  My supplemental coverage applies in two ways.  I can pay in cash and
turn in the receipts upon return for normal coverage and reimbursement.  Or
I can show my Blue Cross/Blue Shield Card at hospitals affiliated with BC/BS
and available in list form by contacting them. My solution is to carry my
card and the list but to also have enough in traveler's checks to initiate a
stay in the hospital after which I can contact my bank back here in the US.

I don't mean to appear negative or macabre but my proclivity is to expect
the best while preparing for the worst.  Can anyone supplement and/or
correct the aforementioned information?  Any comments will stimulate further
reflection.  While for the most of us such data might not apply, for an
unfortunate few it might be lifesaving....Felipe Sanchez
felipsanaolypen.com