cell phones

Gina Palmer mayaaLINKLINE.COM
Fri Mar 22 10:53:10 PST 2002

I'm sorry, Anthony, my last intent is to offend you or anyone on the walk.

I intend to keep my ringer off.  I also intend to keep conversation out of
the refugios and use it only to contact my family in case of emergency and
check periodically if my 3 and 2 year old daughters are well.

(I hardly consider this "emotional and physical baggage"!!  As a mother I
consider it the way I can walk in peace and confidence that I am not needed
elsewhere, as they can leave voicemail and I can check it every couple days
or so)

Just needed to add a small note to let other parents know that they need not
exclude themselves from the walk because of protective instinct as there
*is* a solution.

Thanks for your understanding, I do understand the cell phone-technology
irritation and completely agree that frivolous conversations are
inappropriate.

Gina, (mother of 2 wonderful girls) :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU]On
Behalf Of Anthony Dyson
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 9:29 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: cell phones

Surely the Camino de Santiago is ONE place where we could hope to be
free of the tyranny of these intrusive, irritating devices.
Walk the Camino, leave your emotional and physical baggage behind. And
that includes cell phones.
How long will it be until we see a message seeking the GPS co-ordinates
for all the towns along the way?