cell phones

Barry Sloan bksinspainaITOTAL.NET
Thu Mar 21 22:33:51 PST 2002

You may want to consider buying a cell phone when you arrive.

I live in Spain and purchased my cell phone approx. 18 months ago.  It is a
basic phone and the cost was around $55.00.  It came with about $35.00 worth
of phone credit.  I use the Telefonica MovieStar service (there are others),
which is a pre-paid system.  You can buy more phone time, in any amount you
want, at the many mobile phone stores (in the larger towns) along the way.
Or, you can buy a recharge card at most of the larger grocery stores...I
have even seen them for sale in appliance shops.  The MovieStar recharge
cards cost 30.00 Euros and you activate your additional phone credits by
calling a number and the scratch-off code imprinted on the card.

The only catch is you must use your phone credits up in nine months or your
number becomes inactive.

The phones are very inexpensive, perhaps that is why it seems as if every
person in Spain over 12 is talking into one.  When your pilgrimage is over
you can pass it along to someone else who is beginning theirs.  It could
keep going and going and going...

It only takes around 15 minutes to go through the purchase process and you
can charge up your phone battery at refugios along the way, you may need to
wait your turn at the electrical outlet though as yours will not be the only
cell phone along for the journey.

I carried my cell phone along on my pilgrimage last summer, St. Jean to
Santiago, and it was very useful for keeping in touch with family and other
pilgrims who were several days ahead or behind.  I also used it the last
week of my pilgrimage to phone ahead for hostal reservations as I was not
willing to get caught up in the race for beds.  I went in peak season and it
gets very crowded towards the end...a much different Camino than I began but
enjoyable nonetheless.

Purchasing a cell phone when you arrive is an option that many do not
consider but may well meet their needs.  The bonus is if you have any
problems with your phone you can have any helpful Spaniard sort it out for
you.

If anyone is considering this option and wants additional information I
would be happy to help.

Barry