Still a little baffled...Travel advice

Randy Olson rolsonaSMCVT.EDU
Wed Mar 20 13:51:07 PST 2002

Hi Juel,

Whether you start the Camino in Pamplona or Roncesvalles, you need to get to
Pamplona.  You can get there from Paris by train, but you will probably have
to switch trains in Hendaye, the French town bordering Spain, to catch a
train that makes the short run from Hendaye-Irun to Pamplona. The connection
is very easy.  You don't want to go to Madrid and back up to Pamplona!  If
you wish to start in Roncesvalles, you can catch the afternoon bus that
leaves from the Pamplona bus station (I believe the bus line is Montanesa;
in one year of living there, I have never seen their window in the bus
station opened to sell tickets, but they do have the schedule posted (the
bus to Roncesvalles leaves later in the afternoon - I don't remember the
exact time -- and arrives in Roncesvalles with sufficient time to get
registered, to claim a bed for the night and to make it to the Pilgrims'
Mass before dinner is served), and they sell tickets at bus side right
before the departure time.  You can also take a cab.

I hope this is helpful.

Randy