Travel advice

JA Brilleman janernaaHETNET.NL
Mon Mar 18 13:35:55 PST 2002

http://www.renfe.es/ingles/index.html

            Jan en Erna Brilleman
                            e-mail: janernaahetnet.nl
                            site: www.brilleman-2.myweb.nl

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] Namens
Jean Seeler & Dave Gifford
Verzonden: maandag 18 maart 2002 21:55
Aan: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Onderwerp: Re: Travel advice

The Madrid "metro" runs from the airport to downtown.  With a few
changes
you can get to the Chamartin RR station which is for trains north to
Pamplona (Iruna)   I know of one leaving around 9 Am, another at 5 PM.
The
trip takes about 4.5 hours.  There may be others trains.  These two are
direct (no change anywhere)

There is a RENFE ticket office in the Madrid Airport.  You need noth a
ticket to your destination and a seat reservation.  Both bought at the
same
time.

The problem is arriving Pamplona at 9:30 PM or so.  You might call ahead
for
a reservation at a Hostal recommended in the guide books.   Probably the
refugio will be filled.  The bus that waits for the 9:30 PM train runs
right
by the ** (two star) Hostal Principe de Viana I & II, Avenida Zaragoza
4,
phone 948 24 91 47. We paid $34.57 for a double with bath, in May 2001.

If you stay over near the RR station in Madrid and get the early train,
you
are ready to continue on the Camino once you arrive in Pamplona.  I
understand there are busses from Pamplona to Roncesvalles but have no
experience.

There is a web site for the RENFE, but I have forgotten how to access
it.
It provides schedules.  Note that Pamplona is also referred to as Iruna.
Buen Camino
    jean seeler   jeandaveamindspring.com