Place names? fill in the blanks

lmorris kesatotaSHAW.CA
Sun Mar 17 15:20:21 PST 2002

Here is my scratch work that I have been doing... I know it is a mess
but I must   start some where. Please feel free to change, edit or what
ever... nothing is written in stone. Question anything you like or
improve on what is writen.
I have used what I have been e-mailed both on and off list, And I thank
you all for your input.

Name
El Camino.... "the Way"
St Jean Pied de Port
Roncesvalles    "Roland" blew a horn, "Roaring vallies", " The valley of
Roland"
Zubiri....Town of the Bridge (basque)
Pamplona.....The City of Pompey, "canvas plain"
Cizur Menor.....minor/smaller/little
Puente la Reina....bridge of the queen, The Queen's bridge
Cirauqui....nest of Vuipers  (B)
Lorca
battle  (A)
Villatuerta....villa=house
Estella... Old Church  or Old Town (B) esta this   lla she
Los Arcos  the(m) arches, Santa Maria de los Arcos
El Poyo....high place (L) the stone brick bench
Logrono....
Najera....Between cliffs (A)
Santo Domingo del la Calzada...Saint Domingo (Sunday) of the highway
Belorado.....orado  speaker
Villafranca de Montes de Oca...free village of the hills (Oca river)
San Juan de Ortega....St John of the thistle (Ortga)
Burgos....Possible from Roman times...a states man Brugess?
Hornillos....burners/grates
Granja de Sambolgrange of the ?
Hontanas...relates to the number of springs in the area
Castrojeriz....jeriz wine
Itero del Camino....indicates a border town  "fixed stone" of the Camino
(Way)
Fromista...two words explain Fromista   wheat and pilgrimage (L)
Villalcazar de Sirga
named after Armentarius,  o/name Villasirga (road)
alcazar = castle
Carrion de los Condes (Lacobriga)     of the count
Calzadilla De La Cueza
 Calzada = road little paved raod of the hills
Santa Maria de las Tiendas....Saint Mary of the  tents    Tiendas = the
tents
Sahagun...(San Facundo) a martyred Saint
Calzadilla de los Hermanillos
 Little Benedictine monks (brothers)
affiliated with, of the little road
El Burgo Ranero.....Granary City
Mansilla de las Mulas
(Man-silla-Hand on the saddle) + (Mulas = mule
market) (R)
Leon....Name comes from the Roman 7th Legion, lion
Villadangos del Parmo....village of the ?
Hospital De Orbigo....Hospital = pilgrim hospice, Orbigo is the River in
Spain
Astorga......"splendid city" urbs magnifica
Murias de Rechivaldo....
Foncebadon....
Ponferrada....iron bridge (it was just the handrail that was iron)
Villafranca del Bierzo....free village of the ?
El Cebreiro.... February
Samos....
Portomarin....gateway to the sea
Palas de Rei.... palace of the King
Arzua....
Monte del Gozo.... mount of ?
Santiago de Compostela.... Saint James of the field of the stars

thanks all