Towels, Another View:

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Sun Mar 17 08:06:03 PST 2002

My contribution to the discussion is that there are TWO types of travel towels
and I haven't seen any  distinction between the two types in the replies.

One is a rayon base material that feels like thick felt, the other is a
synthetic material that either has a waffle pattern or a "beaded" surface.
 They are quite different.

Elaine & I used the felt type for several years and finally discarded them for
most of the negative reasons given in the summary.  One negative that was not
mentioned is that they begin to smell after several weeks even if you hand wash
them with soap and dry them.  Our solution was to put them in a plastic bag
with rubbing alcohol for a few minutes and then dry them. (also works with
washcloths)

The second type of material is called Aquitex  and is made by Britanne Corp. in
San Francisco.  We've found them at a chain store called "Bed, Bath & Beyond".
 They are also listed in the latest Travel Smith catalog, P52, Large 19" x 39"
$19.50, Jumbo 29" x 55" $29.50; white or green.  I have the jumbo size and use
it on all of our camping and cycling trips.  So far I have not discovered any
problems with the material.  Go to: www.travelsmith.com and search on "towels"
to view them.  They also make washcloths of the same material but Travel Smith
doesn't sell them.

bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue