Bullfights

Ana Young ayoung2001aYAHOO.COM
Sun Mar 17 04:04:14 PST 2002

--- Conor Fortune <conoraMADRID.COM> wrote:
After attending a small corrida as
> part of the San Isidro feria in a tiny town
> called Arganda del Rey outside Madrid, I
> think I got a fair approximation of the
> experience,

If you're in the right place and time, you may not
only get to see it, you may get to do it. On my first
trip to Spain as a teenager we were bussing it around
Andalucia (the south) when we stopped in a small
village. I'm sorry, I don't remember its name.

At the local bullring, they were having some kind of
an "exhibition" where anyone can get into the ring
with the matador and a fairly small bull, the matador
shows you how to hold the cape and you try to get the
bull to run under it. Being 17, fairly fearless and
not yet having questioned the whole idea of
bullfighting, I got into the ring. I guess I figured
the matador was there and he said the bull was
attracted to the cape, not to me. He told me how to
fling it out as the bull began to run. I did so and
the bull did run under it - although I fell down
afterwards ;-)

Although I attended a couple of bullfights in later
trips, I find I don't like them. But I can well
appreciate someone else's curiosity. We are coming
from other countries to do the Camino, of course, and
it's only natural that even as pilgrims we might want
to investigate the major manifestations of Spanish
culture.

Ultreia!
Ana