re closest point 3 by bicycle

Jean Seeler & Dave Gifford jeandaveaMINDSPRING.COM
Fri Mar 15 20:14:59 PST 2002

I was a very "untrained" bicyclist in May-June 2001.  My significant other
was/is much more conditioned.   We biked from Pamplona to Santiago in 19
days.  Someone in better condition could easily cover that route in less
time.  Add a day to get to Pamplona by train and one to return to Madrid.
The Spanish national RR will take bikes on the fast train if they are in a
box.  We carried ours in the back (front) of the first class coach without
trouble, at the suggestion of the Information clerk at Sanmartin RR station.
Be advised you have to have both tickets and seat reservations, which can be
made at the same time.  Again last year, there were two fast train from
Madrid to Pamplona, one at around 9 AM the other 5 PM.   I strongly
recommend the early train because it takes 4+ hours.  We arrived at 9:30 PM,
were lucky to phone a hostal that would take us and provide a place to store
the bikes  I speak passable Spanish), and (someone was looking out for us) a
bus just outside the train plaza that would take is and the bikes (in boxes)
into the city and dropped us off 1 block from the hostal.  I refer to a
hostal, not the refugio.
   jean seeler   jeandaveamindspring.com