Brasilian pilgrim

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Mar 14 15:17:39 PST 2002

Two friends from New York crossed the Pyrenees from
SJPP to Roncesvalles on December 30th. Both women are experienced skiers and familiar with winter conditions.  they did the crossing accompanied by a guide and another person familiar with the terrain. Nevertheless, the said, they got lost frequently because the familiar landmarks could not be discerned owing to the snow.  Although they were in frequent telephone contact with people in both Roncesvalles and SJPP seeking directions, they had to consult a hand held apparatus that gives geographical locations. Despite all this help, and the constantly ringing directing bell, it took them twice as long to do the crossing than it takes ordinarily.
These are people used to the snow and acclimated to winter's conditions.
Coming from Rio de Janeiro in January, when it is the height of Summer there, with temperatures between 90 and 100 degreed Farenheit, to the North of Spain in the middle of a Northern European winter, must have posed singular difficulties to the Portuguese-Brasilian pilgrim, particularly if, as it seems, he was alone.
If I learn some specific particulars of this sad event I will pass them on.
Meanwhile, all we can do is offer our prayers.

Rosina