Brasilian pilgrim

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Thu Mar 14 07:36:27 PST 2002

    Yesterday afternoon the Guardia Civil found the body of a missing pilgrim.
His name was Antonio Jorge Ferreira, he was a 48 year old  Portuguese
national residing in Brasil and married to a Brasilian.
    Unlike earlier reports, he was not a medical doctor, but a banker.  He
disappeared on January 23rd.
    His wife, Vanda, went to Spain to look for him, aided by refuge keepers,
some pilgrims, local residents and the Guardia Civil.  She said that he had
made the Santiago pilgrimage twice before, and that he had gone this time
seeking needed  spiritual peace and comfort.
    The body was found on the Pyrenees, about half a kilometer from the usual
paths. Apparently he fell down a 20 meters cliff a few kilometers from
Roncesvalles.
It seems certain that he was walking alone and that his death was purely
accidental.
On the sixth of March two Spaniard trekkers turned a bag to the police which
they had found while they were walking in the area.  The bag contained the
pilgrim's diary, which led the Guardia Civil to  where the body was found.
    His wife is presently at the Torres del Rio albergue.  She asks for our
prayers commending the soul of our fellow pilgrim to our Lord Jesus and the
Blesed Mother.
    Sadly,
Rosina