Bull Fights

Tony McGinty AMcg65aAOL.COM
Wed Mar 13 20:14:25 PST 2002

I had the recent discussion spurred by the query about bull fights in my mind
when I reread the Pilgrim's Blessing posted by someone recently, and was
struck by the portion of the blessing that sought guidance for pilgrims that
they might "arrive unscathed at the end of their journey enriched with graces
and virtues."

Inherent in that hope, I think, is the idea that those graces and virtues
come in ways and at times that are not planned. Maybe from human contact on
the camino. Maybe from solitary time on the camino. Maybe on the tour bus.
Maybe at the bullfight. The point, as the blessing says, is to arrive home
"with salutary and lasting joy". I think we should be open to letting people
find their own way to that joy rather than imposing upon them a code of
conduct that reflects our particular values. At the very least, we should let
them depart on their journey unscathed by criticism of what they might enjoy
along the way.

Tony McGinty
amcg65aaol.com