Margery Kempe

Scott Wiskoski ScottWiskoskiaSTARPOWER.NET
Sun Mar 3 18:20:53 PST 2002

sounds like Margery Kempe (c.1373-c.1440)

I have a neat book titled Wayward Women: A Guide to Women Travellers (author: Jane Robinson)   Robinson describes Kempe's  autobiography as "an exuberant and candid narrative of her life as one of the most colourful of medieval pilgrims."  Kempe dictated her "124-leaf document" to scribes between 1436 and 1438... it was housed for centuries in the Carthusian prioriy of Mount Grace in North Yorkshire and was not discovered again until the 1930's...it is now in the British library... it is an account of Kempe's travels throughout England and to various shrines, including Santiago de Compostela.  She was indeed from Bristol...and sailed from there to Spain ... it was about a week's trip sailing.

Scott Wiskoski
Washington DC

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: E. O. Pederson
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2002 2:33 PM
  Subject: Re: English Camino

  I have misplaced my photocopies of the relevant pages, but in Marilyn Stokstad's nice little book Santiago de Compostela in the Age of Great Pilgimages (Norman: University of Oklahoma Press) she describes a trip by a pilgrimage besotted medieval englishwoman who left from Bristol and was back there in a couple of months with plenty of time to engage in pilgrimage activities while in Santiago.  The book, sadly out of print, is a good read and recommended.

  E. O. Pederson

  Seattle, WA