solo walker

Michael P. Barham barhamp1aYAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 2 11:23:15 PST 2002

My name is Michael and this summer, I arrived in St. Jean Pied De Port alone.  However, at the
pilgrim's office I made a group of amigos with whom I set out the next morning.  Each day, I
usually started with others, but would walk in solitude.

Being male, and being kinda husky, I didn't worry to much about walking alone.  But, if you want
to be in a group, I think it should be easy for you to create a group, or find a "partner" with
whom to walk, just be sure you understand each other's personal space (if you or they are hoping
for some solitude).

I never found that preference was given to groups over individuals. I always arrived at hostels
alone, and never had a problem unless there were simply no beds. In fact, it can be easier to find
a bed if you are one, because if you are in a group, they may not have enough beds for everyone in
the group.  Five people show up and there is only one bed, only one is getting it!

However, there was once the hostel let me sleep on the floor because they were out of beds, so
that I could have shelter. And another pilgrim loaned me his little foam roll out so I wouldnt' be
sleeping on hard tiles.  We help each other along that way.

As for credencials, if you obtain one from the hostel, it will be stamped by the local church as
your sponsor, or by the amigos of the camino associating that is responsible for the hostel.  So,
any credencial you obtain should already have a sponsoring agency on it.  You can obtain one from
the confraternity of st. james  -- it is a nice one, or just show up and get one at the hostel -
they sell them for like 25 pst. which is less than 25 cents.

I think it is wise to take just some typed notes.  Igot by with out a guide book. So many other
people will have them, you can look at their's each night before setting out.

Might want to take a small vile of aloe to rub on sunburn AND blisters (was told that works, and I
think it does).  Aloe is a wonder drug.  You might be able to find some small tear open samples
that are rather flat and light and tuck neatly into your things.

have fun on the camino.

michael

=====