Garden Rabbits

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Sat Mar 2 10:09:43 PST 2002

John:  In the past in Spain game birds such as pheasant and partridges were
let hang for several days to improve the flavor and tenderize the flesh.  To
Western tastes this is somewhat exotic and unacceptable.  I thought about
this when reading your note but upon looking at the photo something else
occurred to me.  The strength of the supporting members indicates the
installation is semi-permanent.  Lack of pecking birds or obvious signs of
decay might mean the "conejos" are still alive or were shortly before.  So
"scarecrow" or "espanta-pajaros" seems to be the logical explanation.  Of
course, in a New Age this could be a recondite and abstruse ritual insuring
a fertile harvest.  I opt for Santeria, myself.  Felipe Sanchez

Subject: Garden Rabbits
 I saw a strange thing on the Camino and wondered if anyone knew of its