Money VS weight

lmorris kesatotaSHAW.CA
Sat Mar 2 07:19:55 PST 2002

Hi All,
        It was interesting to read all the replies as to money vs weight. I was
thinking along the lines of Tom Sawyer, how can I walk the Camino with
the least weight on my back, well, one can by doing what I had
suggested, discard and replenish.
        Looking at the pack on ones back as a symbol or from the esoteric side,
this pack represents the dark shadow or the accumulated karma you would
gather from lifetime to lifetime, and one must carry it through life,
and  we have this mission to cleanse it or get rid of it. So to walk the
Camino with out a symbol of this dark shadow on your back would not put
the cleansing process of the Camino in perspective. So I must have a
pack on my back with weight in it. (Ever wonder why the words strength,
fight, weight all have a silent "G" in the words?) I just goes to show
you can't cleanse your soul no matter how rich you are.

        I will be traveling light and I mean very light and will use money as a
tool to keep my load light, to what extent I really don't know.

leonard

Leonard, the way will provide if you don't have enough money!  I learned
that, as I was hiking on a short budget.

I would argue against buying new clothes, for the same reason that many
people have already, that is, the ethical standpoint.  With regards to
cleanliness, I gaurantee you, no matter how clean are your clothes when
you
start walking, in less than five minutes you will be dripping with sweat
and
it will no longer matter how clean they are.

Buy two polyester outfits, pants that zip off and become shorts.  These
dry
really quickly and are easy to wash.  You will be able to clean them at
every hostel, though by hand, that's what most folks do.

I am a gay male, and even I got used to not showering daily (though I
could
have) and not having clean clothes on all the time . . . and I usually
am
worthless without my fifteen minutes scorching shower every morning.

After a couple of days, you will get used to it.

One thing, though, is underclothes and socks - I would take a little
more
than two outfits there, because we don't like out sensative areas to
itch or
otherwise experience tenderness or discomfort.  I started out with six
pairs
of soxks - sent a couple home.

Occasionally you will be able to buy outfits, but not every day.

Plus, my boxers wore a whole in them by the end of the pilgrimage, but I
walked 700 miles.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

mpb