(no subject)

Michael P. Barham barhamp1aYAHOO.COM
Sat Mar 2 05:14:40 PST 2002

With regards to hostels, I suggest going to the nearest college and asking if you can spend a few nights sleeping in their commons room and using the dorm bathrooms.  This might be good prep.

You will soon lose a lot of inhibitions and sense of "steril" cleanliness to which Americans have gotten used to.  It is a good way to ponder the living conditions of those less fortunate.

I remember someone once complained about mildew on the beds, and I eh gads, but then I looked at my pants and realized they were mildewed too, so what was I complaining about.

Some of the best refugios were those I would be scarred to consider staying in over here in the US - but on they camino, they somehow had "character!"

Seriously, though, I didn't find but a couple that weren't in at least passing cleanliness, but none of them are four star hotels.  Imagine what you would get in the U.S. for $3.00 (yup, just two dollars) a night, cause that is usually what you will be paying for a refugio.