Money VS weight

Andrea Innes-Michailov andreaaCORP.IDT.NET
Fri Mar 1 13:58:52 PST 2002

well, I would imagine that throwing away dirty clothes is extravagent.  I
think what is important here is simplicity, not carrying too much is better
but having two sets of clothes is more practical so one can be worn while
the other is washed.  I think someone earlier made a good point about there
not always being stores available everywhere and that they would be closed
in the morning anyway.  The spirit of the Pilgrimage will mean different
things for different people but over all I have gathered that it is about
helping eachother, being contemplative, being in nature, being with God(if
one sees it that way), joining in a special community and spending time
alone.  It is stepping outside of society and its avid materialism too so
maybe that is why L felt throwing the clothes away was not in step with the
usual mind set.  After all Pilgrims are really walking away from materialism
aren't they?- even if it is temporary.  But again we must all be
understanding of eachother's questions and differences here.  Some people
are burning their clothes at the end of the walk as a symbolic gesture...
so extravagence has it's place in El Camino too!

Andrea
andreaahq.idt.net