Sleeping mats & bags

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Fri Mar 1 06:00:28 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/28/2002 9:58:26 PM Eastern Standard Time,
caminomanaATTBI.COM writes:

> I would never travel without a sleeping bag. It sure felt good on top of
> the Pyrennes the night between SJPP and R. in Oct.

I traveled from SJPP to Santiago with a lightweight 3 lb. Northface sleeping
bag.  Most nights I was so warm inside the bag I had to climb out of it to
sleep on top of it.  Again, I would advise against taking one in the warmer
months.  A hostel-type sleepsack should suffice.  Blankets are available in
many refugios.  Where they are not, use your clothes as a cover or sleep in
them.

Sleeping mats are totally unneccesary in my opinion.  If you are forced to
sleep on a tile floor somewhere, you can always borrow one or two from
pilgrims who have beds.  This happened in Sarria when the refugio was full
and my friend Michel was stuck sleeping on the floor. Howard Mendes, NYC