questions on doing laundry

Bernard Milford Bernard.MilfordaTELSTRA.COM
Sun Jun 30 19:51:42 PDT 2002

Marianne

Laundry is one of those questions low on Maslow's hierarchy of needs
that will keep your thoughts occupied as you walk along, especially if
it is raining.

There are many answers to your question;  some hostels have washing
machines, many don't, but there may be queues for them, and may not be
a dryer.  Facilities like this were more common in Galicia.  There is
little available in terms of prof laundry availability, especially at a
reasonable turnaround time and price.  There are some laundries in the
big towns, usually miles from refuges.  Best bet is to carry clothes
that dry quickly, I had a lot of fine wool that was marvellous.  Be
prepared to wear clothes longer than you normally would.  Be prepared
to hand wash a lot.  A small stiff nail brush is useful, and use the
old twisted towel trick to dry things.  Even so, sometimes you need to
carry half dry clothes during the day, and give then their second dry
the second night.  Or, if it's fine, hang them on your pack.  I'd take
more safety pins than pegs and a few meters of strong builders twine
for a line.

Some definitions

Sweat dry;  Not quite dry yet but no worse than sweaty
Air wash:  hung up to dry without washing
Sun wash:  Hung up in the without washing
Bliss:  A pack full of clean clothes

Bernard