greetings - and a query regarding the Somport route

Robert Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Fri Jun 28 13:58:32 PDT 2002

Mr. Ward

The lake (Yesa) had already been there for quite some time in 2000. A couple of ancient towns, including one that was reported to have a refugio,  had already been abandoned. My impression is that the fight was over a plan to raise the level of the lake, which, at that time was well below the level allowed by the dam. There were a lot of signs (graffiti, really) painted around that that area that read, "Yesa No." The message was a bit puzzling to those of us who use English, but I eventually learned what it signified. The opposition to the dam is an interesting
coalition of farmers, hunters, and conservationists, both of nature and of history. Raising the level would apparently wipe out some farm land, a wild life marsh, and some historic sites. It would also force shifting of the pilgrimage route that runs along the south side of the lake to higher ground.
For various reasons, I didn't do that part of the route, but elected to take the road (on the north side of the lake) from Artieda to the town of Yesa, just a short way past the dam.

Robert Spenger
rspengeraadelphia.net