Hi! I'm new!

Dr. Anne M. Jensen dranneaTPGI.COM.AU
Tue Jun 18 15:11:13 PDT 2002

Hi Everyone!
I'm from Australia, I've just heard about the Camino and am seriously considering it very soon!  But I want to learn more about it... It sounds like you all are veterans!  So can people help me with these questions:

1. Obviously, summer would be the "best" time to walk it, but is it then that it's the crowdest?  When do you guys think it's best time of year to do it?   (Keep in mind I'm from the tropics...)
2. How long will it take for a rather fit individual?  I like to run, etc., but haven't done much "hiking"...
3. How much gear do you REALLY need?  Is there a recommended "must have" list anywhere?
4. Please comment of "safety" for a lone female...
5. Getting lost... is it easy to get lost?  And find your way back? Where can I get a good map, etc?
6. Is Spanish necessary? Recommended?  I have a working knowledge, no "good" but "okay"...

Any help you all can offer would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!
Anne (another Anne from Oz!)