Pilgrams returning

Norman Luttrell normanluttrellaEARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jun 17 08:08:33 PDT 2002

I walked the camino in Sept/Nov. of 1999, there were very few people on the
camino. the hospitiliers spoke of the large crowds in the summer. All the
refugios were open, as I walked into Nov. the tempeture at night dropped into
the thirties. But this was mid Nov. some of the refugios are not heated, I had a
lightweight sleeping bag, on cold nights I rented a room in the village. I tend
to do my traveling in the spring and summer, why deal with the large groups of
people that must travel in the summer, (ie teachers  and families etc.) if
you don't have too?  I had a wonderful time and am planning to do it again,
I am sure you will also. I notice that many of the questions sent to this board
are tinged with anxiety, there is no need for anxiety, the Spanish have been
operating this trail for centuries, they have thought of everything the pillgrim
would require and are incredibly helpful. As a pillgrim you have the "right" to
use military hospitals, you merely show your credential and you can see a
Dr.  If he prescribes meds you pay for them, but the price of meds in Spain
is small. I give this as an example of the care and concern the Spanish exhibit
for pilgrims. You are in safe hands.  Via Con Dios

----- Original Message -----

From: Mary
Pennicooke

To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU

Sent: 6/16/02 8:22:56 AM

Subject: Pilgrams returning

Just the other day I was wondering about all those folks who had left
for

their journey. I was hoping that soon we would start to hear about
their

experiences.

Bernard, WOW, what helpful insight!

I am going in Sept., so I am assuming that there won't be as many people
but

who knows!

If nothing else, your experience (what was written to us) lets me know
that

I should not "expect" it to be any certain way. I had realized this but
once

again reminded. Thanx!

Anyone else out there just getting back????

Welcome home!

May your reintegration go smoothly!

Blessings,

Mary Pennicooke