Greetings all in GOCAMINO land

Leslie Barr lbarr604aEARTHLINK.NET
Mon Jun 3 18:21:02 PDT 2002

Howard Mendes wrote:

> In a message dated 6/3/2002 1:01:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> Spirit444aAOL.COM writes:
>

>> I am packing a light weight, compact, down sleeping bag on the
>> recommendation of a fellow pilgram.  He said that it gets cold in
>> the mountains(he was there in July/Aug. 2000) and that there were no
>> blankets available.
>
> Don't take a sleeping bag.  A sleep sack will do fine.  Many refugios
> DO provide blankets.  I go crazy when people provide wrong
> information.  Howard Mendes, NYC

Arghh, I hate when people start arguing like this!  It could be hot in
October, it could be cold. I went in July - I roasted in La Rioja and
froze to death in Rabanal.  What does that prove about a walk next
fall?  There might be blankets at a refugio, or there might not be.  The
blankets might be clean or they might be dirty, in which case you might
not want them anywhere near you.  (Even with a sleep sack, the thought
of using a blanket that dozens of dirty, sweaty, coughing, sneezing,
blister-poking pilgrims had also recently used was too much for me...)
It's not a question of people providing wrong information - it's just
that there are no facts here, just one's own experience and preferences
and conjecture about the needs of a stranger.  I had a lightweight down
sleeping bag and sometimes I was too hot and sometimes I was grateful
for it.  I had a lightweight fleece and ended up buying a sweatshirt
because past Leon the weather changed and I was always cold.  People
said I was crazy to take more than 2 shirts, but I took three and was
glad that I did.  It's great for experienced people to pass on advice
through GOCAMINO, but who gave anyone the rule book?

Leslie

lbarr604aearthlink.net