French books and other questions

Gist, Megan mgistaKELLER.EDU
Thu Jul 25 08:19:02 PDT 2002

thanks for the insights, my friend. i don't speak french very well (but can
read it rather efficiently) and want to learn more.....so maybe a guidebook
will help me do that on my pilgrimage.  also another question, since i am
planning on hiking the camino.....

i only have 5 days to walk a portion of it but want to walk the last 100km
(62 miles).  where would a good place for me to start?
and please forgive me for all small letters, writing in this manner allows
me more speed (smile).

thanks!
-meg
from chicagoland, illinois, usa.

-----Original Message-----
From: E. O. Pederson [mailto:eldorpaHOTMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2002 10:04 AM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Re: French books

Camino, and better than any guide in English with maps (the CSJ guides
remain indispensible, but they do not include maps) is:

Veron, Georges and Laborde-Balen, Louis.  1999.  Le Chemin de Saint-Jacques
en Espagne de Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port a Compostelle: Guide pratique du
perlerin.  Ibos, Rando Editions. ISBN 2-84182-077-7.  There is reason to
believe that a new edition is either available or soon to be published.

I do not have a specific citation for the guide in Dutch, but there is a
Dutch translation of what I consider (by a consderable measure, as it is
very well produced and current) to be the best available guide for the
Camino. Dumont Verlag should be able to give you the title and other details
for the Dutch edition.

Hoellhuber, Dietrich. 2001.Wandern auf dem Spanischen Jakobsweg.  Koeln:
Dumont Aktiv, ISBN 3-7701-5428 2

the website is:  http://www.dumontverlag.de <http://www.dumontverlag.de>
(Please pardon the lack of umlauts etc.  I am typing this on an unfamiliar
keyboard)

There is a long bibliography of titles on the Camino in French and
undoubtedly also in Dutch/Flemish, but perhaps a better starting place would
be to examine some of the websites in those languages.  I have posted a long
annotated list of websites at http://www.groups.msn.com/CaminoSantiago
<http://www.groups.msn.com/CaminoSantiago>  (go to the left hand column at
the opening page and click on Documents) which would give you some to begin
with.

If you have questions or comments, please reply to eldorpau.washington.edu
<mailto:eldorpau.washington.edu>

E. O. Pederson
Seattle, WA

  _____

Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click
<http://g.msn.com/1HM1ENUS/c157??PI=44364> Here