introduction and question

Tom Priestly tom.priestlyaUALBERTA.CA
Tue Jul 16 11:06:30 PDT 2002

This is my introductory message: I joined 2 days ago.

I am a (very!) recently retired academic: I was on staff at the University
of Alberta for 32 years. Subject: Slavic languages and cultures, especially
sociolinguistics and minority languages. I speak several European languages
but (as yet) almost no Spanish.

Last December I received an e-mail invitation to do 'the pilgrimage' from a
colleague at a University in Austria (located in the area I have done most
of my research). I knew almost nothing of the Camino then. After not much
reading, I was hooked.

We will be walking, starting about 2 months today (mid-September). Klaus
has to be back in Austria by October 20th.

And now to my question:
We plan to drive in Klaus's car from Austria to St. Jean Pied de Port and
walk from there to Santiago. Then back by public transport to pick up his
car again.
-> Is there a safe place to leave a car in that town? Or should we plan on
leaving it in a lock-up of some kind in a larger city (e.g., Pau)? And do
they charge through the nose?

I searched the archive for "carpark" - nothing; "car" - nothing apparently
relevant. I apologize if this information is easy to find!

My thanks in advance
Tom Priestly

*       Prof. (Emeritus) Tom Priestly
*       Dept. Modern Languages & Cultural Studies
*       University of Alberta
*       Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA  T6G 2E6