pain in Spain

Watson, John watsonjaTRINITY.VIC.EDU.AU
Mon Jan 28 16:07:10 PST 2002

Dear Pilgrims - a cautionary tale
I had difficulty with pain and deep blisters in Spain 2000. When a similar
pain appeared recently I sought professional advice.
The podiatrist likened my condition to the effects of that torture where a
person's soles are beaten with a bat. Constant pounding breaks apart the
fibrous padding under the heel so that when the person stands, the padding
politely moves to the side, the bones coming in contact with the skin. This
is the problem I had in Spain, though it has only now been throughly
diagnosed.
I embarked on the Camino with too little preparation and too little
knowledge of HOW to walk. My boots had orthotics to protect mainly the ball
of the foot and correct the tendency of my toes to curl up, but there was
too little padding under the heel. With the extra weight on my back and a
tendency to go too fast and slam my feet down (I was not aware of this) the
damage was done.
The podiatrist said he believed I could continue walking distances provided
I was well equipped and I modified my walking style. So all is not lost! Nil
desperandum, but it is a cautionary tale for all embarking on a long walk.
John Watson
www.pilgriminspain.net <http://www.pilgriminspain.net>