Walking Sticks

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Thu Jan 24 07:35:15 PST 2002

My first day of walking I found a broken branch that I used as a walking
stick from SJPP to Roncevalles.  Within 3 hours I developed a blister between
my thumb and forefinger that lasted a week.  Realizing that this was from the
rough bark, I wanted another one that would be smoothe.  My walking stick,
one of the commercial kinds, found me in the post office in Pamplona.  It was
lost or forgotten by someone obviously and I did not know how long it was
sitting there.  I was in a quandry what to do.  I figured that a Lost & Found
at the post office (if they had one) would not be as likely as the refugio
for the owner to claim it so I took it back to the refugio and left it in the
reception area. Well, the stick stayed with me all the way to Santiago & back
to NY.  I feel somewhat guilty not having returned the stick to the owner,
but it was highly visible wherever I went and not terribly expensive.  I owe
someone out there a bottle of vino for my good fortune and their misfortune.
I'd also be happy to replace it or pay for it.  By the way, no blisters from
this trusty companion.  Howard Mendes, NYC