trail markers and the ways over the Pyrenees.

JohnandIda09aAOL.COM JohnandIda09aAOL.COM
Tue Jan 22 19:48:57 PST 2002

Pieter,

The water tap you mention, Is that the Fountain du Roland?
This was where Charlemagne's lieutenant Roland was overtaken
by the Moors, I believe.

It was here that my wife and I, after being slowed by gale force
winds on Oct. 3, 2001, made a bed of leaves under the bending
trees and slept the night. It broke the difficult climb and descent
into two days. The fountain was turned off for the season so we
lowered the water bottles into the cistern by a string to fill them.
The water looked a bit cloudy, so we used iodine tablets. The
water and a few bits of bread and cheese sustained us until we
hit Roncevalles the next day.

I hadn't slept under the stars without a tent for years but it turned out
to be a most warm and memorable night.

John