Cruz de Ferro

Lisa Forman FormanLSaAOL.COM
Tue Jan 22 14:45:11 PST 2002

the Cruz de Ferro now has a great many more mementos around it besides the
rocks that millions have left there.  It is adorned with photos, bandannas,
and assorted detritus from the hundreds of pilgrims that pass by.
I myself, left a stone that my brother gave me before I left NY.  This stone
he brought back from Capadoccia, Turkey and has carried it with him on every
jounrey (and there have been many) since picking it up in Turkey many years
ago.  It rests now at the foot of the Cruz de Ferro.
My son opened his wallet when we arrived there, and took out the identity
coin that had accompanied the ashes of his brother when we got them from the
funeral home, my other son who took his life in September of 1999.  Josh's
identity coin, and who knows what portion of his identity, now rest at the
foot of the Cruz de Ferro.  We both hugged.  The wind was strong, despite the
heat of the afternoon.
LF