Greetings Pilgrims

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Mon Jan 21 19:51:51 PST 2002

Hellene:  I left Saint Jean on May 21 of 2001.  I had obtained a passport in Roncevalles before taking the taxi to St. Jean.  I speak no French and had not thought to spend any time there.  Also, April is early in the year so I have no idea of the status of the Pilgrim Office in St. Jean.  Someone else may know.   But, when and if  Ronce give you the document have them stamp the second or third square so that in France you can receive a "sello" in proper order.  In regard to the Pirineos I found them passable but a challenge the last part of May.  I have no idea what you will encounter in April but I would prepare for rain, snow, mud, cold, and a difficult trek.
In addition, about one-half the way across the mountains you will encounter some red, white, and blue trail markers.  Some hikers have followed these and walked away from Roncevalles and Spain.  The tri-colored markers denote a trail associated with the Pirineos and not the Camino.  If I recall with accuracy, the wrong trail goes left while the designated Camino continues straight ahead or to the right.  If you are aware of this you can easily avoid a navigation error.
 Good luck!  Bon chance! But most of all, Enjoy!  Felipe Sanchez
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Greg K Dahl
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 6:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Greetings Pilgrims

  Hello,
  I am leaving for the Camino April 17, 2002.  I will begin from St. Jean Pied de Port....how easy is to find a pilgrims passport there.  I would also like some feedback about the trek through the mountains...how was it ......?  I should be beginning the pilgrimage about the 19th....anyone else planning to go around that time?  Will be arriving from Ottawa , Canada.
  Helene