check archives for boots

Gabrielle Milanich EshlingaAOL.COM
Fri Jan 18 15:57:32 PST 2002

Newbies can ask anything and everything.  I remember when I was asking these
questions and I valued the patience that other list members had in answering
them.  Besides, I think it's some sort of rite of passage to be able to
answer the same questions you asked before you walked (I mean the general
you, of course).

As for boots, sandals et al..I wore Sportiva gore-tex boots.  I developed
blisters only after having some probelms with planters fashitis (sp?) because
I altered my gait.  However, wear a good pair of liners to wick away moisture
and good hiking socks with added support.  I changed my socks mid-day and
felt like that gave my feet a bit of a boost.  I also took a pair of Tevas
for the evening.  Next time, however, I plan on taking a pair of hiking
sandals and will be wearing Merril trail runners.  We'll see how that goes.
If you do just one thing, break in your boots before you walk!  I didn't, and
I think that ocntributed to the inflammation of my heel.  The other thing I
can advise is to train in advance.  Don't just walk expecting your body to
adapt.  Even though it will, you'll be the worse off and not able to get into
the rhythm of things as quickly.

Gabrielle