safety

Diane Grust DEG33aAOL.COM
Tue Jan 15 21:45:36 PST 2002

The total number of pilgrims who received the Compostela during 2000 was
55,004, which was almost twice the number of pilgrims in the last non Holy
Jacobean year, 1998, and more than ten times the number of pilgrims in 1990.

sorry don't have the 2001 numbers but my guess is that they would be higher

yes there was that one report ....without the particulars

1 / 55,004 =.0000181

So there is a .00181% chance of it happening again?  Walk the camino.  I did
alone everyday and generally never in the sight of anyone else if I could
help it and never had a problem.  If you are afraid stick with a group or
keep other people near you.  It is ridiculous to think you cannot walk the
camino in safety and would need to take a bus because of one reported
incident last year.  It has now be brought up as an example more than once
and really should be put into true perspective.

Real dangers?  based on my observation the top three are:

blisters
tendonitis / joint problems (ankles, knees,back)
sunburn

Diane