Motives

Teruel, Dr. Jose Romero (WDC) terueljraPAHO.ORG
Tue Jan 8 09:17:36 PST 2002

Sorry for them...
It is not only a question of "sensibilities of the faithful" that I also
respect.
I believe many  of the "walkers" (not pilgrims) are only exercising and
satisfying an eye and mind curiosity.
That is also good! No complaints on that!
But think about a sort of philosophical/theological kind of reflection that
you can do while walking. If just putting a new dimension on the walk in
terms of realizing the meaning of life and the human being in earth. Even if
you don't want to put any spirituality in it still I believe the
"caminantes" are a special group  (maybe privileged person) that can afford
to doit and to understand what is going on...
Why to keep it only in the restricted dimension of self satisfaction and
retirement totally from the present world?
I feel sorry to be so long but these are part of my personal thoughts
regarding the pilgrimage and my reaction when someone accepts the simple
adventure as justifiable.
I agree it might be but also feel responsible to try to convince for more...
Jose

-----Original Message-----
From: Felipe Sanchez
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 3:45 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Motives

Saludos:  I traversed the Camino Frances last May and June.  While in the
initial portion I communicated with a Director of Friends of the Camino.  I
believe the site might have been the Refugio at Pamplona.  With some
authority the Director affirmed that only about 5% to 10% of the pilgrims
are motivated by religion or spirituality.  The vast majority, according to
him, consider the event an adventure, an outing, a challenge, an
inexpensive, safe, healthy way to spend a month or so.  His categorization
reflects the experience I had during 40 days or so during which I conversed
with 50 or so pilgrims and observed many more.  I don't mean to offend the
finer sensibilities of the faithful but the reality of a modern,
materialistic, self-centered age often clashes with idealism inherited from
times past.  Felipe Sanchez