Motives

Felipe Sanchez felipsanaOLYPEN.COM
Mon Jan 7 12:45:20 PST 2002

Saludos:  I traversed the Camino Frances last May and June.  While in the initial portion I communicated with a Director of Friends of the Camino.  I believe the site might have been the Refugio at Pamplona.  With some authority the Director affirmed that only about 5% to 10% of the pilgrims are motivated by religion or spirituality.  The vast majority, according to him, consider the event an adventure, an outing, a challenge, an inexpensive, safe, healthy way to spend a month or so.  His categorization reflects the experience I had during 40 days or so during which I conversed with 50 or so pilgrims and observed many more.  I don't mean to offend the finer sensibilities of the faithful but the reality of a modern, materialistic, self-centered age often clashes with idealism inherited from times past.  Felipe Sanchez