Fantasy, pilgrimage,etc.

Gene Silva ejsilvaaSWBELL.NET
Sat Jan 5 13:34:36 PST 2002

Elin Fowler wrote

There have been other objections to things on the "fantasy" level.  What a
pity.  I grew up with,  and raised my children with,  healthy imagination.
And my grandchildren are reading about and delighting in Harry Potter, as
well as the Chronicles of Narnia and The Lord of the Rings.

Elin:

You might be interested in the description of a core curriculum offering at
Harvard this spring which includes:

"This course attempts to explore the powerful and pervasive theme of the
journey in some of its most frequent and important forms in world
literature. It offers the student an opportunity, through direct encounter
with imaginative literary works in which journey or journeying plays a
central role, to consider the powerful metaphors of travel, quest, passage,
voyaging, pilgrimage, exile, homelessness, homecoming, wandering, and
sojourning as they have played out in both classics of world literature and
selected modern literary works as well."

One of the books students will be required to read is Tolkien's, "The
Hobbit"