Goodbye, dear pilgrim

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Wed Jan 2 15:05:55 PST 2002

In a message dated 12/14/2001 6:17:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
WA6RPRaAOL.COM writes:

> My friend, Richard, set out last May to walk the Camino.  He carried a small
> pack but lots of hope.  He wanted so much to make the journey that he went
> against his doctor's advice.  After only 3 days he ended up in the hospital
> and was forced to return with tha journey unfinished.  After only a few
> weeks
> he ended up on hospice and died this morning.  When I last visited with him
> on Tuesday afternoon, he said that he was sorry that he could not have
> finished his walk.  I told him that I would one day  finish it for him and
> walk the Camino in his honor and memory.  I think that his gentle spirit
> will
> be there along the Way of St. James when I go.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful, but sad account of your friend, Richard
with us.  I have cancer myself but it is under control and I was able to
complete the Camino in May/June 2001 with God's help and the support of
numerous other pilgrims that bonded with me and gave me encouragement and
their love.  This enabled me to complete the walk.  I now number them as my
closest friends.  One sent me a box of chocolates from Geneva and others have
been equally generous with their messages about 9/11 and more beyond the
space here to tell you about.  I am going to South Africa in March for a
Camino reunion with a whole group of people I met along the Camino.  I only
wish that Richard was among us physically, but in the spirit I know he is.
Howard Mendes NYC