Sleeping mats

lmorris kesatotaSHAW.CA
Thu Feb 28 13:07:31 PST 2002

Every refugio I stayed at had mattresses.  Some supplied blankets and
most had pillows. Also, I suggest you
bring a youth hostel-type sleepsack and not a sleeping bag.  You can buy
one or make one by sewing two
small sheets together. If you need to cover yourself because it gets
cold, use your clothing or sleep in your
clothes.

Believe me, any excess weight you can eliminate will be worthwhile. I
bought my sleepsack at EMS, but you
can buy one online.  I stayed in refugios for all except 3 places from
SJPP to Santiago. Some mattresses were
bad or on the floor, but all were clean and fine for one night.  Howard
Mendes, NYC

Howard,
        Just a curious question, what would you say that your total weight of
your pack was that you packed while you walked the Camino?

I'm trying to get it to 8 kgs....

leonard