Camino in winter

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Wed Feb 27 06:48:10 PST 2002

Hello you all,
Two friends have just returned from Santiago after completing the Camino
which they commenced at SJPP right after Christmas.
Both had made the pilgrimage once before during late summer, and they tell me
that going during the winter is an entirely different Camino which probably
approximates much more the pilgrimage of hundreds and hundreds of years ago
and which is more impressive by far.
They had no trouble finding those albergues that were open, and in those
towns where no albergues were open they were directed from town to town to
comfortable and welcoming places to stay.
I should add that both friends are women in their sixties and avid skiers, so
perhaps they were somehow inured to the cold and undaunted by the snow.  The
husband of one of them is a colleague of mine and he was worried silly, as
was the other husband.....while the two women were having a "transcendentally
beautiful pilgrimage".
If someone in this list is planning a winter pilgrimage and has specific
queries I shall be glad to ask my friends.
Regards,
Rosina