Non-Catholic Pilgrim Experiences and Pilgrims vs. "Holiday Makers"

Scott Wiskoski ScottWiskoskiaSTARPOWER.NET
Tue Feb 26 12:04:39 PST 2002

Hi all,

Neither my boyfriend nor I were raised Catholic although I feel like I
am a closet Catholic as my father was raised Catholic and I was
exposed to lots of Catholic traditions (e.g., eating fish on Fridays,
St. Christopher's medals) growing up.

I was a little intimidated but curious about attending the pilgrims'
mass in Conques, France (the first place we had the opportunity to do
so) ... fellow or should I say sister pilgrims helped us negotiate the
process and feel comfortable.  I was also very curious and comforted
by the many many crosses in many many different styles, some clearly
of ancient vintage along the path in France.  Many of these places had
been the destination for more local pilgrimages in days past.

On our 2nd night out, while we were staying at a French gite at a farm
(there must have been 10 of us plus the family), we got into a heated
discussion about whether people were "radonneurs" (walkers or hikers)
or "pelerins" (pilgrims)... I don't recall the outcome of the
discussion, in part because my ear was not totally tuned to the French
language again just yet... but it did seem that many may have started
as walkers and became pilgrims as they went along.  Many people were
doing 2 weeks to "see how they felt" -- could they go further?  could
they go the distance?...or were doing it in stages as we are (800
miles is a lot to tick off in one summer)... but NO ONE was doing it
as a "holiday maker."  It's a lot of suffering for a holiday!

One other question that came up along the way... which would be
interesting to discuss... was doing the path alone or with someone
else?  Yes, we met lots of people along the way, but there did seem to
be some sense that the opportunity to be changed by your experience
was heightened if you completed the journey alone.

We were also told that we would change by doing the path...I think it
is hard not to be changed.

Cheers,  Scott, Washington, DC