Non-Christian pilgrim experiences

Jane Engel jengelaLAPLAZA.ORG
Mon Feb 25 16:31:32 PST 2002

Elyn wrote:

>For me, the Camino is an archetypal experience, a sacred, ritual process that
>enables me to move into a spiritual space that fills me with awe. I am moved
>by the faith of millions who have walked the Camino and built the churches; I
>long to be in those sacred places even though I am not Christian because of
>what I am able to experience in them. I also know that in the Middle Ages
>many people of many faiths met on the Camino, including Muslim Sufis, Jewish
>Kabbalists, Christian alchemists--and many others.

*********Thank you, Elyn, for putting in words so clearly your experience
of being a non-Christian pilgrim walking the Camino. I too am non-Christian
(even though I was raised as one) and as an adult, I also belonged to a UU
church for quite some years! I now am following a Quaker-Buddhist, or a
Buddhist-Quaker path. However, I was totally taken by surprise by how moved
I was when visiting a number of Catholic churches and cathedrals along the
Camino, and felt deeply the sacredness of walking in the footsteps of so
many earlier pilgrims.

>I like to think that the Camino is big enough for all of us.
>*******Totally agree!

And Buen Camino, Ellen.

Jane