Practicalities

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Mon Feb 25 11:00:47 PST 2002

Juel;

I asked the same question two years ago as I'm old and starting to have
prostrate problems.  I got lots of replies.

Here are 10 weeks of experience.  I usually found a toilet at museums and many
cities had public facilities but expect to pay between 25 and 50 cents to use
them.  Many of the larger grocery stores have toilets and most of the tourist
offices as well.

Along the trail I just went behind a bush to urinate.  Remember this is the
Camino and lots of it passes through trees, bushes and farmland.  You can
always stop at the many bars, every town has at least one, or coffee shops and
ask to use their facilities.  They are free if you buy a drink, the hard cider
is really good and doesn't have much alcohol.  They also serve a drink which is
half beer and half lemonade (lemonada or something like that).  I always
offered to pay if I didn't buy something but don't remember any that accepted.

In general, the Europeans don't worry about urinating in public.  It is not
uncommon to see a guy facing the wall.  I couldn't do it but it didn't seem to
bother them.  Last year we cycled in the Netherlands and they had three sided
pyramids with small basins on each face for the big day of parades.  The guys
just stepped up to a basin and urinated in plain sight of everyone.  Sometimes
there were 5 or 6 in a row.

Have fun and don't worry.

Bill

bill deutschman