many feet and the Camino

Michael P. Barham barhamp1aYAHOO.COM
Mon Feb 25 09:30:12 PST 2002

My brother hiked the apalachian trail and gave me advice about preparing for
walking.

"The only way to train for long distance walking is to walk long distance."
I don't think all the walks I took before hand, including starting to walk
five miles a day, prepared me.

I just learned to walk with blisters, and learned that if I took a break, my
feet would just be in pain for a couple of minutes before I got used to
being on them again.

I did take a lot of muscle cream.  As for blisters, I just walked with them
. . .but several peopel recomennding sewing a tiny piece of thread through
the blister after pricking it and draining it.  Then, each day, move the
thread a little bit (cleaning of course daily).  The thread would act as a
spunge for puss and bacteria, and after a few days, should be good and
cleaned out.  I never used that, because it sounded to complicated to me,
but several people swore by it.

Look for brand name "COMPEED" for blisters, that works well too.