Where to begin? I suggest Leon

Richard Ferguson rafergusonaATT.NET
Sat Feb 23 09:06:28 PST 2002

I will take a shot at Jennifer's question, as I am also planning a
relatively short trip, and I want to walk less than 20 miles a day.

I suggest Leon as a starting place.  You can fly to Madrid, take a train
to Leon for 25 dollars US or so, and have 311 km (192 miles) to
Santiago.  This is about 10 days of walking at the 20 mile a day rate,
but this gives you extra time for rest days, weather days, a day in
Santiago, travel time from the USA, train travel within Spain, etc.  You
could start in Burgos (take the train from Madrid) if you really wanted
to do more miles, but I suggest a more conservative plan will mean less
pressure and more time to think and relax, at least a little, and you
will have a greater chance to be successful.

People who bite off more than they really have time to do are shooting
themselves in the foot.  I have considerable experience planning
expeditions, usually successful, and an extra day or two is a key
element for success.  Overreaching is the most common error in planning
big trips.

Richard