Shells, Sticks and a Song

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Fri Feb 22 03:35:05 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/21/2002 11:32:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kesatotaSHAW.CA writes:

> I have been told when I walk the Camino I should carry the Scallop
> Shell and that is why I asked of it's history and if I could buy one on
> the camino, the answer was yes. Also, I was told I will need to carry a
> stick while on the Camino for all sorts of reasons as well as "everyone
> carries one and that is part of the tradition" so I will carry one.

Before we left for the Camino, we went to the beach at Fire Island where we
collected about 2 dozen scallop shells.  John, my buddy, carefully made small
perforations in each one and inserted small gold ribbons and attached a small
gold safety pin in each one.  We wore them and gave these to special people
that we met on the Camino.  Although they are fragile and a lot smaller than
the French coquilles,  they made a big hit with all the pilgrims we met.  The
ubiquitous walking sticks are not just a tradition, but an essential in my
opinion.  They help you when you are walking by giving you balance on the
steep inclines and declines.  Leverage going uphill and support going
downhill. Howard Mendes, NYC