Unbeliever on the Camino

Howard Mendes HMe347aAOL.COM
Wed Feb 20 11:43:24 PST 2002

In a message dated 2/19/2002 11:16:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
channingtaRCN.COM writes:

> Chris, I would like to give your questions a shot.
>
> >...I am troubled about what seems to be a heavy emphasis on religion and
> spirituality. Is this an illusion of the "virtual experience" or is it
> really a day to day preoccupation of people on the trail?

As I mentioned previously, I am a non-observant Jew and I participated in
many of the Catholic rites and rituals.  On one Friday evening at a refugio
sitting with some friends we got to talking about the spirituality of the
Camino over some vino.  I realized that it was a Friday and asked whether
they wanted to hear the traditional Hebrew blessing over the sabbath wine.
When they answered in the affirmative, I recited the Hebrew blessing and
English translation and they were profoundly moved by it.  Just another
Camino anecdote.   Howard Mendes, NYC