Oloron/Gurs

Robert Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Thu Feb 14 01:02:22 PST 2002

Preston,

There was a rail line through Somport many years ago, but for quite some time
now, the Spanish line ended at Canfranc Estación. The French portion had been
dismantled. The huge old station in this rather small town is a sort of
historic monument with its two long room for customs inspection. There was
construction on a new tunnel going on in May of 2000, but it was my strong
impression that it was for a new highway, not a railroad. I saw a number of
abandoned tracks, bridges, and tunnels in France. My thought then was that they
would make great hiking trails, but there did not seem to be any movement
convert them, such as the Rails to Trails group in the U.S.

Many pilgrims take the once a day train from Jaca to Canfranc Estación to begin
their pilgrimages there, or even walk up to the pass so that they can start
from the border. I would think that there would be bus service from there on
into France, but I didn't notice anything like that. I had walked over the pass
and just stopped in the town for one night.

regards,

Robert