Oloron/Gurs

Ellen Grunblatt aplsosaMAINEWEST.COM
Thu Feb 14 06:18:32 PST 2002

A query to those who have walked in southern France:  I am flying into
Madrid and plan to take the train or bus north to Pamplona; from there I
would like to cross the Pyrennes and begin the Camino in southern France
near Oloron.  Specifically, I would like to make a personal pilgrimage to
Gurs, where my father was imprisoned after the Spanish Civil War, trace his
route over the mountains which I believe was the Somport pass, and join the
Camino Frances there.  Does anyone have any advice regarding public
transportation over the Pyrennes from Spain to France in this area?  Less
likely, but I'll put it out there, has anyone been to Gurs, or have a feel
for that area for pilgrims?

Thanks for any advice or thoughts on this.  I appreciate all the different
voices and experiences shared on this website.

Ellen