Giving and Receiving

Dale M. mrsmarieaBLUEWIN.CH
Thu Feb 14 06:26:53 PST 2002

After reading the many messages regarding the level of hospitality
and help received by pilgrims along the camino, I was wondering what
would be an appropriate way to give something back.

I recently read an article written by a member of  the UK Confraternity
of Saint James which referred to the increasing numbers of pilgrims
and the associated problems encountered by those who live along the
camino i.e. there were accounts of alcohol abuse along the way,
increasing amounts of litter etc.

Bearing in mind that this must surely (one would hope) be from an
absolute minority of pilgrims, it would indicate that there exists a need
for us to give something back to the camino.  Obviously appropriate
personal conduct must go without saying - picking up litter along the
way would also be a small token of respect for our Spanish hosts.  I've
tried to think of other ways in which a humble, temporarily-homeless
pilgrim might give thanks but haven't come up with anything
substantial.  Just wondered what others might think.

Dale M.